Monday, August 15, 2005

Day 2

Hm, well.

Yesterday I went to Heritage Assembly of God in Baxter. They have a big brand new building, and the place was packed. I walked in 10 minutes late and had to find a spot on the side near the front. I sat down next to a couple in their 30's. If you read my post yesterday, you probably get somewhat of an idea of how I was feeling at the time. After worship (which was good, but a very different style than I prefer), they had a short prayer time for those who needed to feel love, and the couple next to me prayed for me - and I felt like I was home.

They had a missionary from west Africa speaking, and he spoke on John 10:16, a verse often used for missions. He talked about how in these West African countries they go and evangelize then setup "tabernacles" for the believers to gather in. He said that he likes to think of them as sheep pens as in that verse, and how it's a place to gather to be safe. I really connected with the message and it seemed fitting for me as a place that I can go and feel safe.

I also noticed that they have a prayer room which is open weekdays from 8:30 to 4:30. That excited me, and I'll have to try to find a way to get to that atleast once a week or something -- it might be hard while working, we'll see.

After the service the couple I met talked to me for a bit, and invited me to check out the college aged group that meets on Monday nights at 9PM. So tonight I'll be checking that out. After I told them that I graduated with a degree in math, they asked me if I would be willing to tutor one of their kids and maybe some other kids that they know in algebra level math, and said they would be willing to pay me. Their kids are homeschooled, and they have a hard time teaching them the more difficult math. I experienced the same kinds of difficulties trying to teach myself Algebra 2 when I was homeschooled, so I can definetly relate. This sounds like a good opportunity that I might try to do on the side, maybe a couple afternoons a week. I'll talk to them some more about it next Sunday.

After service I felt a lot better and it made me feel like I could find a sense of home while I am here, and find support. I still feel the same sense of calling for my area, even more so after having some deep conversations with my friends and my Dad.

I really miss Duluth, and I'm looking forward to going back to visit, but I know more than ever that this is where I need to be right now. I really do need to start looking for where to go next though, because I don't think that I want to plan to stay here for more than a few months.

2 comments:

Sweetkeeks said...

It's cool to think of all the things God is showing you already, with this church, being able to tutor those kids and even this college group. God knows what He's doing and I know you understand that. Keep trusting in Him and you will be blasted with His blessing!

Veeeee! said...

I agree with Keely, God is definitely in charge here and His divine guidance is totally covering you. I will be praying for you as well!

On a side note, I was homeschooled as well, and never "got" math. I actually never officially graduated high school because I never passed anything higher than Algebra 1. My friend and I have a bet that I'll be able to talk my way into graduating from college without ever taking a math course...it's 3 years and running so far! :-)

About Me

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
I'm a full-time lover of Jesus. I work, learn, and pray at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City. I live simple, and seek God with all my heart.

Blog Archive