Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Rest

Standing on the LifeLine tonight, I asked God to reveal to me his thoughts on Life. My thoughts were lead to a phrase I heard from David King today about the "amazing blessing of co-creation" that he experienced with his kids.

From there my mind went to the Creation of the heavens and the earth. Why did he take 6 days to do it, instead of doing it instantly? And why rest on the 7th day?

Many people have told me that He rested as an example to us, so that we know how important the Sabbath is. This is biblical, and I believe it to be true, but tonight, my thoughts went a slightly different direction.

What if He took 6 days so that He could enjoy creating? Like he took his time so that he could savor it. Why rush such a good thing? Creating in six days is still just as mighty a work, but if he had done it instantly, he couldn't have enjoyed the process so much. 

And what if He rested on the 7th day, not just as an example, but because He enjoys rest? He obvoiusly didn't need it, but what if He enjoyed it?

And shouldn't it be the same for us? That we don't just rest because we have been physically made to require it, but what if we enjoyed our rest? And by enjoy I don't mean use time off to go DO MORE, but to actually rest, and take satisfaction in it?

That's what I did this afternoon, more because I had to, than because I wanted to, but I think God is encouraging me to rest more, not because I have to, but because it's part of his nature, and it's a good thing. 

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
I'm a full-time lover of Jesus. I work, learn, and pray at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City. I live simple, and seek God with all my heart.

Blog Archive