Saturday, August 04, 2007

Parashah 48 Excerpt: Judges

Every Shabbat (Saturday) I read a portion out of my Complete Jewish Bible. I look forward to this, and it's an excuse for me to get into the Word in depth.

This week, I just got started, and a very simple section struck me in a profound way. It was so good, I decided to share it with all of you. Enjoy!

*********************
Parashah (portion) 48: Shof'tim (Judges)
D'varim (Deuteronomy) 16:18-21:9

[excerpt, 16:18-20]

Adonai orders them to appoint judges and officers for all the gates in the cities. He establishes a couple of rules for them:

  1. No Favoritism
  2. No Bribes
Sounds simple, but it’s so crucial, and is still a problem in the justice system today. Verse 20 is powerful, and a worthy verse to live by for anyone who is in authority:
“Justice, only justice, you must pursue; so that you will live and inherit the land Adonai your God is giving you.” (CJB)
This was a command and a promise. When you think about it, it almost has to be taken prophetically, because the judges are already in the land, and have already inherited it. he is talking of another Land, the eternal Promised Land of which Israel was a precursor to. It might be the same land geographically, but it was a futuristic promise, of a resurrection inheritance.
Israel will inherit the Land, but only those of Israel that pursue justice.

Those judges who pursue justice, in other words, the Righteous Judge, Yeshua (Jesus), will inherit the land and will judge the world, and angels and demons (1 Corinthians 6:1-3).

This is weighty.

God, help me to judge righteously, to seek your authority, to always appeal to the highest court, the court of heaven, in all my judgments. Help me to not show favoritism, or take bribes, or to be selfish in my judgment, but to serve your people with justice from heaven.

Amen.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
I'm a full-time lover of Jesus. I work, learn, and pray at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City. I live simple, and seek God with all my heart.

Blog Archive