Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Weird Words: "s-w" words

Tonights post is dedicated my weird word aficionados, Kelly aka K-Diggy, and Molly Mo.

1. "Swoop" |swoōp|

Daniel 9:21
"...while I was speaking in prayer, the man Gavri'el, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, swooped down on me in full flight..."
2. "Swirl" |swərl|
I feel like I'm caught in a swirl.
3. "Swell" |swel|
verb ( past part. swollen |ˈswōlən|or swelled ) [ intrans. ]
ORIGIN Old English swellan (verb), of Germanic origin; related to German schwellen. Current senses of the noun date from the early 16th cent.; the informal adjectival use derives from noun sense 4 (late 18th cent.).

adjective informal dated excellent; very good, super well :
you're looking swell. • archaic smart; fashionable : a swell boulevard.
4. "Swarm" |swôrm|
noun a large or dense group of insects, esp. flying ones.

PHRASAL VERBS swarm up climb (something) rapidly by gripping it with one's hands and feet, alternately hauling and pushing oneself upward : I swarmed up the mast. [ORIGIN: mid 16th cent.: of unknown origin.]
ORIGIN Old English swearm (noun), of Germanic origin; related to German Schwarm, probably also to the base of Sanskrit svarati ‘it sounds.’
5. "Swank" |swa ng k| informal
verb [ intrans. ] display one's wealth, knowledge, or achievements in a way that is intended to impress others : swanking about, playing the dashing young master spy.
6. "Swindle" |ˈswindl|
a fraudulent scheme or action
Put them all together, what do we get?

A swarm of swollen insects swirling around, swooping down, trying to swindle my swank!

3 comments:

David Andrew Gagne said...

I forgot a couple more!

Swipe, and Swamp.

S-W's sound moist somehow.

Keldog said...

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

's-w's sound moist somehow'?????? haha andrew...i have no words for the amount of 'cringes' that are going on right now!

Molly Mosack said...

Oh my soul. You are hilarious. And don't forget sweaty, swill and swine. And SWARTHY!!!!!!! UG! Or should I say, UHHHHHHHHHH

About Me

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
I'm a full-time lover of Jesus. I work, learn, and pray at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City. I live simple, and seek God with all my heart.

Blog Archive