Saturday, September 22, 2007

Parashah 2: Noach (Noah)

Parashah 2: Noach (Noah)
Genesis 6:9 - 11:32

From last time:

The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the LORD was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. So the LORD said, I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them. But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.
(Genesis 6:5–8 ESV)
I love the Bible. The account of Noah is one that is told to children, because it is so exciting and grandiose. It's got drama, miracles, and a hero. It's got a huge boat made of gofer-wood, a world-wide flood, and a sweet rainbow.

But what if it's not just a child's story, but actually happened? It's an amazing story that captivates, and evokes emotions, way better than Titanic... But what's so cool about this is that it's an amazing story, which is part of a larger story called "History" that we get to take part in.

Let's take another look at Noah, as if it actually happened. (which it actually did)

The earth, and mankind, was still pretty new at this point. The population was booming, but only a small number (one family line) were faithful to God. This line was the line which Noah came from. (Enoch, Methuselah, Lamek, Noah)

Everyone else was completely turning from God, and fully pursuing the depths of sin. God describes their thoughts and desires being "only evil, all the time." Imagine this... a large community, probably in a small geographic area, ONLY doing evil. Imagine the violence, and the danger of living there.

I take comfort in Genesis 6:8, "Noah found grace in the sight of the Lord." Noah was not perfect, but his heart was not evil. He loved the Lord with his heart. Noah was still a sinner, but God loved him, and gave Noah grace to live.

I'm going to fast forward through the building of the ark, the gathering of the animals, and the flood, and look at what happens after.

After, Noah made a sacrifice of the few animals he had, and sacrificed them to God. This part I love. God smelled it. God smells things... Haha! And it pleased him. This might be weird, but I like to think that God has a greater ability to smell than we do. He smells not just the barbecue going on, but also the heart behind the sacrifice. I could bring in a whole bunch of scriptures about aroma's here, but I'll leave it to you to go search it out.

Because of this sacrifice and this pleasing smell, God makes a promise, that he will never again destroy everything, as long as the earth exists. He gives a sign of this promise, which is his rainbow. It's the same rainbow that we see in God's throne room (Revelation 4:3). It symbolizes his promise of mercy and protection and love for living things.

I love how God's personality is shown through this passage, and his way of weaving a dramatic story to save mankind.

See also Matthew 24:36-44.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
I'm a full-time lover of Jesus. I work, learn, and pray at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City. I live simple, and seek God with all my heart.

Blog Archive