Saturday, September 29, 2007

Parashah 3: Lekh L'kha

Parashah 3: Lekh L'kha (Get yourself out)
Genesis 12:1-17:27

This portion is all about the patriarch of Israel, Abraham. I love this portion! It contains all of the promises for Israel, as well as some pretty sweet accounts of Abraham, including his run-in with Melchizadek, who some people think was the pre-incarnate Messiah.

Chapter 15 has another awesome encounter, where God comes to him in a vision. Don't take that lightly... when is the last time God came to you in a vision? Do you know what that's like? And even if you do, I doubt yours was like this. As far as visions go, this one is a good one.

God starts it out by saying, "Don't be afraid." He probably had to say that, because whatever it was like to see God in a vision was pretty startling, and he wanted Abraham to catch what he was about to say. He then said, "I am your protector, your reward will be very great."God goes on to tell him of his promises towards him, that he will have a child in his old age, and that he will become a mighty nation.

Later that day, after he sacrificed to God, he had another encounter. He fell into a deep sleep, and in this sleep he experienced horror and great darkness. God created a scene for him, and told him of the future of his people. He says that they will be in captivity for a while, until it is the right time for them to possess the land. The right time will be when the Amorites are ripe for punishment. God could give them the land right now, but because he is just, he cannot wipe out the Amorites until they are wicked enough to deserve it. Interesting...

Another part that I love is in 17:1. He's 99 years old, and God shows up again. He actually appears to him, whatever that means, and says to him, "I am El Shaddai! [God Almighty] Walk in my presence and be pure-hearted!"

Sounds good to me!

Haftarah:

Isaiah 40:27 - 41:16

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
I'm a full-time lover of Jesus. I work, learn, and pray at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City. I live simple, and seek God with all my heart.

Blog Archive