Friday, September 28, 2007

Weird Words from Deep unto Deep

Dana Candler is an expert in the English language. Personally, her style is very difficult for me to handle, but I do recognize that she is very good at it. Her style incorporates an incredible vocabulary uncommon in our day.

Here's a couple of examples:

"How do our weak hearts enter the holy torrents of Divine Love?"

"We stand on our tiptoes on the precipice of time, peering into eternity with a steady gaze, ever searching the horizon for the One who lives outside of time."

Uhhg. Beauty, mixed with horror. Like the witch from Narnia, her use of language is both attractive and repulsive.

Why am I bringing this up? Well, I'm re-reading her book. I never thought I would, but God has humbled me, and brought me into a "season" (uhhg) in which I am desperate for intimacy.

But rather than go on and on about me, I thought you, my readers, would enjoy my list of weird words and phrases that I find while reading.

Try saying them slowly a number of times, as gratuitously as you can.

  • holy torrents of divine love
  • embrace
  • deep ache
  • kindled flame
  • tangibly
  • transpiring
  • ravished
  • pierce
  • precipice
  • cherishes
  • precious
  • saturated
  • discern - "dizzern" as Mike B pronounces it.
-out

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
I'm a full-time lover of Jesus. I work, learn, and pray at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City. I live simple, and seek God with all my heart.

Blog Archive