Monday, January 21, 2008

Excerpts from Infinitude

Here's some quotes from my paper I wrote last week for Attributes of God class with Stuart Greaves.
I. God is Exclusive in His Infinity
1. Conceptually, there can only be one infinity. Let’s look at a geometric example. If a one-dimensional line is infinitely long in both directions, there cannot be a separate line that is also infinitely long in both directions in the same dimension. It would be the same line. The same could be said for infinite area in two dimensions, infinite volume in three dimensions, or for infinite dimensions.
I love thinking about God's infinity, because it simultaneously makes God Big in my mind, and makes me small. Then when I think about how big He is, I think of how GOOD He is, and how JOYFUL he is. Then spending eternity with Him sounds pretty good.
EX. Again, let’s take this to a practical conceptual level. God has always existed as infinite. Yet we were created. If God were to create a being whose purpose was to count beans, while God held infinite beans that God had possessed forever, and this creature never died, never became tired, never lost it’s count or gave up, he would count forever and never count them all. This is a description of the knowledge of God. Fortunately our task to know God and to love Him is much more pleasurable than counting beans. Of course, if you were paying attention, you would realize that there cannot be infinite beans to count, but there can be infinite knowledge of God to explore.
“And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and within, and day and night they never cease to say,
Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty,
 who was and is and is to come!”
 Revelation 4:8 (ESV)
Sounds good to me!
2. It is his desire for us to grow more like Him in all these attributes for eternity. We will forever explore and delight in him! If He was not infinite, eternity would be boring. Thank God for his Infinitude!
Amen.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
I'm a full-time lover of Jesus. I work, learn, and pray at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City. I live simple, and seek God with all my heart.

Blog Archive