Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Mystical Life of Communion (notes) II

Before I post my notes, I just want to mention that this stuff is hitting my heart pretty hard. I feel like this in most of my classes here, but this TRULY is what I want to be all about. Intimacy with God begets everything I do, and is also the end-goal of everything I do.

NOTES:

The crisis on a personal level is whether we can turn away from the temptations before us and cultivate an interior reality of pleasure...

Corporately, the crisis is a war for this generation on the battlefield of love and beauty and the church is silent.

Typically our inner ache is medicated in one of three ways:
1. Inferior pleasures (defilement)
2. Suppression (bitterness)
3. Ignoring (frustration and anger)

Communion is the way to “know” God deeply through encounter.

His desire is for us to know him now, as well as in the age to come.

We have greater relationship with God now through his spirit alive inside of us than Adam in the garden.

Communion is initiated by Him. Colossians 1.16

We must get a higher vision to drink deeply of Him in order to feed our insatiable thirst. We must fill our infinite, God-created, ache with the one who is infinite pleasure. “

“The vast majority of believers have never even come near the ceiling on the human experience of divine ecstasy.”

Psalm 63:3 Because your lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise you.
Psalm 34:8 Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good.
Psalm 36:8 They are abundantly satisfied with the fullness of Your house, and You give them drink from the river of Your pleasures.
John 15:11 These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.
“that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls.” (1Peter 1:7-9 NKJV)

Communion is in the context of relationship with Jesus.

You can have relationship without experience, but you cannot have experience without relationship.

God’s love is voluntary, out of desire. His desire is not like ours, it is a desire birthed out of abundance, not lack. God does what he pleases. It pleased him to create us, to love us, and to die for us. It pleases him to redeem us and bring us near to him.

He is relentless in his pursuit of us.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
I'm a full-time lover of Jesus. I work, learn, and pray at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City. I live simple, and seek God with all my heart.

Blog Archive