Thursday, April 23, 2009

Evolution is still broken.

** Geek Post **

No, it's not another creationism vs evolution post (Almighty Creator FTW!), it's a geek thread.

Today was the launch of Ubuntu 9.04, a Linux-based operating system (alternative to MacOS or Windows for you noobs). I was a little excited, because they were bragging about the addition of Microsoft Exchange Email support, one of the major holes still left in Linux. This is made possible through the mail program, Evolution.

I've tried Evolution before, and even used a beta version, but found it to be very buggy. It crashed constantly, and didn't load my mail half the time. This might be due to the fact that I have 6,000+ messages in my inbox, but still...

The full release version, unfortunately, isn't much better. I installed Xubuntu, a smaller version of Ubuntu (runs XFCE instead of Gnome), and was surprised to find it doesn't come with Evolution pre-installed. So I installed it, no big. Then I found that it didn't have exchange support by default, so I installed the plugin. Still no problems. I added my account, but had a sneaking suspicion that it wouldn't work since it still asked for the OWA info.

So I loaded it all in, gave it a generous 30 minutes to download my mail over wi-fi, and then dug in. And...... it crashed. And now I can't even launch it, as it crashes when it asks for my password. Ugh.

I'm ready to go back to my mac... or maybe even windows xp, rather than deal with this. The only thing that's helping me survive is Citrix, but that's another story.

For the geeks:

OS: Xubuntu 9.04
Packages: Evolution 2.26.1-0ubuntu1, evolution-exchange 2.26.0-0ubuntu2
Machine: Dell Vostro 1000 (AMD Turion64 x2)

Anyone interested in donating a mac?

*EDIT*

Found the MAPI plugin as well, but guess what? It's not enabled on our server... Plus it crashes when I try to set it up. BAH!

*EDIT #2*

Got it to work by disabling SMB (move the smb.conf)... but guess what? After I set it up with MAPI, it started loadin!g my mail, then it broke my mailbox! It deleted all my 6,500 email messages! Not sure why it deleted mail on an exchange server.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
I'm a full-time lover of Jesus. I work, learn, and pray at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City. I live simple, and seek God with all my heart.

Blog Archive